February 9, 2009

Antisocial Social Worker on Twitter

So yeah, I've joined the modern world and signed up for Twitter. I'm not EXACTLY sure what I should be doing with it, but I have some ideas.

For one, I'll definitely announce new posts for the blog here. As well, small ideas that wouldn't make a normal blog post (not that mine are all that long, anyways). Also, I often find articles that I'd like to post for everyone, but don't want to either just post the link or post the whole thing with no commentary. So yeah, I can just throw the link on Twitter!

What I won't be using it for is updates on what I'm doing, like in the cartoon here. Well, unless it's really cool...then I might.

So yeah, welcome to the new world, me. Maybe it will last? ;)

You can follow me on Twitter here: http://twitter.com/antiSWer
Share/Save/Bookmark

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have discovered Twitter recently but am finding it a little bit compulsive.. it took me a bit of time to get used to it. I'll catch you over there!

Tanya said...

Oh God, you too???

I might have to bend to the masses and join...

therapydoc said...

I couldn't comment above for some crazy reason, the comments were disabled. But it seems to me that the whole point of "evidence based practice" is to make one's practice applicable to specific situations. So if a Japanese woman needs to smile when she's sad, we wouldn't use an intervention that disrespects her culture. So of course it's practice based evidence. It all starts with assessing the person you're with, then seeing if there's anything we know about this particular type of person in environment. A social worker would want to know, for example, why is this patient smiling when she should be sad, not assuming that she is in denial of her feelings. The whole point is to get better at the job by reading through the literature, not to force anyone to use a particular intervention. I think.

antiSWer said...

Huh...no idea why you couldn't comment. Thanks for doing so here...

From my experience, organizations HAVE been forcing people to use particular interventions in the guise of "Evidence Based Practice". It's been a top down decision that's trickled through the ranks and not come from what's actually worked in the field.

Having said that, you're absolutely right. Individuals can become better social workers by using the literature to apply to unique situations that are discovered through their assessments. I think organizations have a more difficult time doing that...as well as a hard time giving their social workers the freedom to do so...

Post a Comment