January 25, 2010

What about Self Help?


So what about Self Help. We walk into a major bookstore these days, and there are rows upon rows of self help books. There are books for every flavor of problem that we may have, but do they work? I think it depends on many different variables. What's the motivation level? Is it the right fit? Can the book help you into the emotional realm, or is it all in the cognitive realm?

There's this blog article on self help that I thought interesting enough to share. The writer talks about the science (or lack of it) behind some of these techniques, and plugs his book. Here's the post: The Self-Help Psychologist Is In

Let me know what you think.
Share/Save/Bookmark

4 comments:

Awake and Dreaming said...

I'm using a self help CBT for depression book with a client in counselling right now. We needed something different then what we were doing, cause what we were doing wasn't working... we'll see how it goes!

antiSWer said...

I think self help books in conjunction with a counselor is probably a good idea. A way to bounce some ideas off someone else, get clarification, and get motivated in a place you're stuck.

I've tried using manuals and books in therapy, but I find it's not my style. I have to honor that with myself and my clients, methinks.

spldbch said...

I use self-help books for me and sometimes take ideas from them and use them with my patients. I like the self-help books that promote self exploration.

Empty said...

I have ambiguous thoughts about this genre. On the one hand what helps people grow, feel empowered or better about themselves, etc, is good as long as it doesn't hurt them or others.

On the other hand, Like Wiseman discusses in the article you posted, many of these self help theories/techniques lack scientific basis or study as to their efficacy. Self help should be under similar scrutiny as other counseling approaches.

I'm reading Sham, a book by Steve Salerno that takes a critical look at Self Help and Self-actualization Movement (that Salerno dubbs Sham). It clearly takes an unabashedly strong stand on this, and I'm reading it while thinking critically of Salerno's views, but it has been thought provoking read.

Post a Comment