January 5, 2009

On the Road to the End

Tomorrow is a day of continuation and new beginnings for me. I will begin the final semester of my BSW as well as my final practicum placement. I hope to get as much as I can out of this semester, and from the looks of it, I will have many different opportunities.

As I have stated before, my practicum is at a community mental health organization. I will also have the opportunity to, at the very least, shadow a psychiatric hospital social worker.

On my vacation, I did a little book hunting and bought around four or five books. Looking over them yesterday, I discovered that they all had to do with mental health. It's as if I was getting ready, even during my vacation. I'll list them all with a short description in a future post.

Each New Year, we usually make some resolutions. I think I stopped this long ago, but as much as I don't like them, I will say some goals I have for 2009.

  • I would like to read at least one book every two weeks (on average). So that's 26 books this year. This includes audiobooks, which I will be able to listen to due to my longer than usual commute for this semester. 
  • I want to get accepted to, and choose, a MSW program. I have my application in for one, with the next three on the go.
  • I would like to blog more than once a week. I think I'll have a lot to talk about this semester, as I will have contact with actual clients and coworkers! I have some strong opinions about mental health, so that could create some fun, too.
  • My last one is that I would like to get a job offer from the organization at which I am doing my practicum. This is a tricky one, because I might not be able to accept it due to attending a MSW program. I will be able to work for a few months due to the programs not starting in September...however, I don't know if that will fly with them. We shall see how this one plays out.
And that's all for me. I wish everyone a Happy New Year, and I hope the holidays went wonderfully for everyone.
Share/Save/Bookmark

5 comments:

Tanya said...

Bring on the book titles! And good luck with the job and MSW program. Maybe the job can hire you and let you work odd hours to accommodate school?

antiSWer said...

That would be nice, but I've only applied to schools that are not close to this city. If I get in to any of the programs, we'll have to move. My only hope of working there is either for a short time or if I don't get into a program.

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year and good luck! Looking forward to hearing more about the experiences and all! I need to read more. It was the only thought that came near to a resolution over the new year period.

Anonymous said...

Audiobooks don't count. You should READ 26 books and listen to more.

Honestly, I'm sure all of your goals will come true. Are you applying to Laurier?

antiSWer said...

Bah, and I was going to adjust downward. I'll stick with what I have and keep your words on advice.

And no Laurier. My applications are all west of Ontario.

Post a Comment